12.18.2008

Day 18 - from Luke and Thankful Thursdays - Random

Iris, at Grace Alone... is hosting Thankful Thursday again this week. I learned we're going to do Thankful Thursday on Christmas, too! YAYY!!!! What a day to share our gratefulness!


She chose random as this week's topic. I love random. Random has me thinking back over my life in the last week and reminding me of big and little blessings God pours on me so abundantly.

1. I am thankful for the blogging community and everyone I have "met" online. The wisdom, thoughfulness and ideas I have read and learned about in this last year have been amazing. In addition to that, I have been so blessed by comments people have left when they have stopped by to say "hello."

2. I am thankful for the snow this week. Yes - it puts a crimp in schedules and makes life a bit more difficult but it also slows things down. You start to figure out what is truly important and leave the non-essential stuff alone.

3. I am thankful for Proverbs 31:20 Ministry and for the opportunity to serve with it. Last Saturday we hosted our annual Spirit of Christmas luncheon where we served almost 300 women and children from area homeless shelters and as it always is, it was an amazing blessing to see just how loved these women felt and to be the hands and feet of Jesus in their
oh so hurt lives.

4. I am thankful for my Lifegroup. Those people who come to our house Thursday evening after Thursday evening and dive into God's Word together. An awesome, incredible and amazing group of people. I love each one of them and am so grateful to God for bringing us together.

5. I am thankful for my dog. In an age of such available media when you hear of so many problems with animals and the heated opinions on both sides - leash or no leash, animals trained "mean" who attack, etc., I am thankful for a dog who will do whatever is necessary to protect his family. While I can't prove it because I do not know if this was their intent, I believe my dog protected me from men who meant harm when they came to my front door. His size, his growl, his teeth all gave pause to a young man and his partner and I believe I was spared something evil when it happened. He is a wonderful, sweet dog to us and our friends but I know he will do what it takes to protect us if needed.

6. I am thankful for both of my sons. Individual and unique but bonded as only brothers can be. I am so grateful to God for His gift.

7. I am grateful for my husband. In my crankiness and shortness this last week (I may love the snow but I am not fond of "forced" dependence), he loves me and is so incredibly patient with me.

8. Last but oh so not least, I am thankful to the God who created me, the Son who gave His life for me and the Holy Spirit who guides me. Without them, I am utterly nothing.

Please read on for Day 18 and scripture from the gospel of Luke. Also, head over to Grace Alone... for other Thankful Thursday posts.
One aspect I love about Christ's birth - God made sure the shepherds, who would have been considered the poorest and lowliest of the poor and low, were told of Christ's birth just as He made sure the Wise Men, who were kings/brilliant/rich men of their time knew of it. Christ was born not just to those with education, wealth or status but for all men - no matter their rank, position or job. Not a single detail is missed by God. Not one.

In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.

In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for see - I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly hosts, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest heaven and on earth peace among those whom He favors!"

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us." So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.

~Luke 2:1-20

9 comments:

Robin said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am moving my blogs over to Wordpress: http://girlforgod.wordpress.com
Hope to have you visit me over there too. God Bless, Robin

Grammy said...

Wow I am so glad your dog was there. Animals have a way about them that they know things. I had a cockatoo parrot that knew too. I also am thankful for your king words on my blog. You fill my heart with joy too. Thank you.
Be blessed my friend.
Grammy

Laurie Ann said...

Thank you so much for your visit this morning! It means the world to me to know that Jimmy is being prayed for and the praises are going to God.

I loved reading your list - you have such a thankful heart! So many blessings - we are a fortunate people, aren't we?

Oh, about your dog - they know. Our dog Copper was a very humble and meek dog, but he couldn't stand any of Kristyn's boyfriends. When Corey, her husband, came over for her to introduce him, Cop jumped up in his lap and they bonded instantly. We knew she had picked a winner.

Happy Thankful Thursday and Merry Christmas!

Aisha said...

:) You have a really good TT post :). I'm thanking God with you!

Denise said...

May God continue to bless you always sweetie.

Unknown said...

Bonnie,

What a beautiful list!

I'm thankful to have met you!

I appreciate the love and energy you put into speaking up for the voiceless! God will continue to bless your obedience!

Hugs and love,
Jill

michelle said...

wonderful heart of thanksgiving!

i said...

Hello! Thanks for dropping by!

What a lovely thankful post! Glad to know your dog is such a good guard. Mine is too. Guess I don't really need any ultra sensor or doorbell, seriously LOL.

Have a blessed weekend!

Nancie said...

Thank you for sharing your thankful heart with us. Thank God for His many blessings upon you. Thanks for your visit and encouragements. May God continue to bless you and family abundantly!