4.08.2009

What Does Easter Mean To Me?

Angela at Becoming Me is hosting an Easter "carnival" of sorts. She's asked us to write a post (or posts) about Easter between April 5th and 12th (see the button on my sidebar). This is my very humble contribution.

Please forgive me if this doesn't make as much sense as I think it does. My sinuses are in an uproar. Again... Feels like "always." My whine is over - now to my post:

My absolute favorite day of the year is Easter. Easter is a bit commercialized - you'll see more bunnies and eggs than you will crosses usually but what Easter stands for goes beyond anything you can buy in a store. It goes beyond anything you can imagine. Easter celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ, His triumph over death and evil and that one incident is the solid rock on which Christianity stands.


As the apostle Paul states in 1 Corinthians 1:17-19: "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.'"

In order for man to become right with God, a sacrifice unlike any other sacrifice had to be made. A sacrifice of perfection - no bull, goat, lamb, pigeon or dove would do. Perfection could only be found in the Son of God. So the Son of God willingly gave up His position in heaven - that royal position, at the right hand of God - to come to earth in human form. A baby nonetheless - the weakest, most defenseless human form. He came to die and He did it willingly (John 10:17-18).

Hebrews 4 reminds us: Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.


Not only did He come to Earth to die but He came, grew and lived so He could understand what we go through. We can never say we have a distant, unfeeling, uncaring and unknowing God.

As those truths reverberate in my head, as I think on them, dwell on them, I am again brought to my knees in absolute awe at just what Christ did all those many years ago. My words are inadequate and I can't possibly explain to you all that it means. It pulls on emotions so deep in my soul, they have not voice and I can't write them out here, using mere words.

We were created to glorify God. That is the purpose of man. That first Sunday morning a couple of thousand years ago gave us back the ability to do that. It brought back right all that had gone wrong in the Garden of Eden a few thousand years before the cross.

To me, Easter is a glorious awakening. Everything is new again because of Easter. Christ is victorious and we should glorify Him, celebrate Him, with every fiber of our being. Celebrate everything about Him, all He did and will do and all of Who He Is.

What is Easter to you?

3 comments:

Angela Nazworth said...

Thank you so very much for participating. Easter truly is our hope.

Jesica said...

Easter IS a glorious awakening! Thanks for sharing this!

Mary Moss said...

We can never say we have a distant, unfeeling, uncaring and unknowing God.

Amen!