4.16.2009

Thankful Thursdays - Discernment

This week, I want to thank God for discernment. For that wisdom that comes from God, when we ask for it and when we rely on Him to show us what to think or do about a particular person or situation.

When Susan Boyle walked onto a stage to audition for "Britain's Got Talent", the audience mocked her. It might have been with nothing more than their thoughts but most of them rolled their eyes, gave one of those "looks" to the person in the seat next to them, snickered or flat out laughed. Even the judges were thinking they were in for another one of those nightmare moments when they'd have to buzz someone off the stage.

They judged this woman on her looks.

The moment I saw her, the thought popped into my head "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." That thought did not come from me and while folks laughed at Simon's comments, I just knew something was going to be different about her. She looked like a "weak" contestant - people were so certain she didn't have what it takes simply because she doesn't have stylish hair and her eyebrows aren't plucked.

Then, she started to sing.

When I heard her - I had to fight back the tears. I still do, every time I listen to her sing. If you haven't heard her yet, head on over to YouTube and listen to her. She is well worth your time.

Amanda Holden (and I am sorry if I have her name wrong) called it well - the audience and judges were incredibly cynical when Susan Boyle walked onto that stage and it was the biggest wake-up call ever.

We should not judge a book by its cover. It has taken me years to learn that and I was the biggest snob I know. I still fight it on occasion but God has faithfully - and patiently - put me in places where I have had to deal with people I wouldn't look at twice, my work with the homeless especially.

This week I am thankful for a God who uses the unexpected and/or the weak and/or the powerless to change hearts and open eyes, most especially mine. Moses, Rahab, Ezekiel, Leah, Joseph...the list is long...and now includes a Miss Susan Boyle.
Have a blessed day and join Laurie at Women Taking a Stand for more Thankful Thursday posts.

7 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

I have been so convicted of that - that we should never judge a book by its cover. How true in this situation especially! I pray she brings glory to God with her music. She has an amazing voice! Happy Thankful Thursday!

Raye Ann said...

What an extraordinary example of judging a book by its cover. When it comes to people we need to remember that God designed the book and the cover. Leah was judge by her cover, but it was through her line that the Messiah came.
Blessings

Jerralea said...

Great post! We definitely should not judge by the way a person looks -- but we all do it. Thanks for reminding us to look further than appearance.

Pia said...

i saw the video. i was teary eyed myself. we shouldn't really judge a book by its cover. really, we shouldn't. happy TT.

Denise said...

Amen to this sweetie.

LAURIE said...

I love it! When the least become noticed...God has put giftings and talents in each of us...shame on us for judging and not seeing the potential that God sees. I just saw the clip tonight and how amazing that she left those judges speechless! Glad that you shared this warning of judging others with us today at TT! -Laurie

Rita T. said...

Amen and Amen. Thanks for the great post. Have a wonderful day!