8.13.2008

Weddings

Most people love weddings (as long as they're there as a guest, not the bride, groom or part of the wedding party!) and I'm no exception. My sister-in-law got married last weekend and my husband (her brother) walked her down the aisle. She is beautiful and he is just so handsome. Funny thing about this one - usually people are all eyes on the bride. Not this one, not for me. I glanced at her and then watched him. In my head I am wondering again however did I get so blessed?



But I rabbit trail because the day wasn't about my wonderful husband. It was about his sister and her new husband. Although every time I look at mine, I seem to forget almost everything else. After 4 years of knowing this man, he still brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart every time I even so much as think about him.


Jules & Shandy looked so happy. Shandy, as I said, was beautiful and Jules is a pretty handsome guy (had to say that, seems the guys always get the short end of the stick when it comes to the wedding day). At one point, the officiator (and his name I cannot remember to save my life!) was reading from some notes he'd taken as to why each of them wanted to be married to the other and as he was reading, one solitary tear made its way down Jules' face. I'm usually pretty good at holding back the tears as long as there isn't too much to trip me up and that one almost did it. It was so sweet, so tender, there was so much love in his eyes that I almost lost it.

Weddings are crazy things. I absolutely loved mine and all that Aaron and I promised before God, our families and friends that day. I love that we live out our vows day in and day out, getting through the bumpy spots by holding onto each other and knowing we're not letting go. As I stood there (yes, we stood - that stopped the tears from flowing, too because I wasn't really listening to the words too much, all I could concentrate on were my sore feet...) I just started to pray. I prayed that Jesus would reveal Himself to them in their marriage. Neither one of them is a Christian (which made for some difficult phrases for me in the vows "by the powers of the universe, both known and unknown, I pronounce you husband and wife"... as an example) so my prayer is first that they would come to know Jesus for who He is, that He would become the center of their marriage. I also prayed they would hold onto each other as tightly as Aaron and I hold onto each other. I love them both so much, they are incredibly dear to me and I wish them love like they have never known.

My prayer for them is the same prayer I have for every couple I know getting married:

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.
~Psalm 33:22

No comments: