8.07.2008

1 Corinthians 13

I found this adaptation on a blog I was reading this morning. A lot of lessons to be learned in here (from the Scripture and the poem) and I think I should be paying more attention in "school".

...For Mothers

If I live in a house of spotless beauty
with everything in its place,
but have not love,
I am a housekeeper, not a homemaker.

If I have time for waxing, polishing,
and decorative achievements,
but have not love,
my children learn cleanliness, not godliness.

If I scream at my children for every infraction,
and fault them for every mess they make,
but have not love,
my children become people-pleasers,
not obedient children.

Love leaves the dust in search of a child's laugh.
Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints
on a newly cleaned window.
Love wipes away the tears
before it wipes up the spilled milk.
Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.

Love accepts the fact that
I am the ever-present "mommy,"
the taxi-driver to every childhood event,
the counselor when my children fail or are hurt.

Love crawls with the baby,
walks with the toddler,
and runs with the child,
then stands aside to let the youth
walk into adulthood.

Before I became a mother
I took glory in my house of perfection.

Now I glory in God's perfection of my child.
All the projections I had for my house
and my children
have faded away into insignificance,
And what remain are the memories of my kids.

Now there abides in my home
scratches on most of the furniture,
dishes with missing place settings,
and bedroom walls full of stickers, posters and markings,
But the greatest of all is the Love
that permeates my relationships with my children.

-Adapted by Jim Fowler

No comments: