9.04.2008

Thankful Thursdays - Seasons




I think I've decided to read through Iris' post before posting my thankful list each week. Some weeks there may be something specific that God places on my heart but if not, I'll go with her subject. She makes me think and that's a good thing.


This week she wrote on seasons. Not just the seasons in a year but seasons in your life. That puts you into rewind mode a bit, a walk down memory lane. It's interesting, too, because I went to visit my brother's family over Labor Day weekend and my brother was in the mood to talk "the good ol' days" so we sat up late on Friday night, talking through memories and about people we hadn't thought about in years. It was a lot of fun and what was even better about it was realizing we had more positive memories than negative.

My thankful list, the seasons in my life...

1. Lord Jesus, Father God, thank You for all of the places my father took us when we were kids. He loved camping and that vacation he would get every year was put to good use.

2. Lord Jesus, Father God, thank You for my Nana & Pop Pop Johnston. Every child should be blessed with grandparents such as they were.

3. Lord Jesus, Father God, thank You for my time as a single mother. That was a long time and while I spent a good part of it ignoring You, pretending You didn't exist, You loved us. You took care of us. You kept us safe.

4. Lord Jesus, Father God, thank You for the opportunity to be a wife again. My first husband, poor man, had his own problems but he married a very selfish girl. I wasn't a follower - or much of a believer for that matter - then and it showed in every aspect of my life. It took me almost 15 years of being single, including all of those lousy choices in the relationship department, to realize that being a wife did not mean that the man of the house existed to serve her. It means supporting him, loving him, encouraging him to be the man that God intends for him to be. It means a lot more but in the interest of avoiding the rambling I tend to do, I'll just say read Ephesians 5.

5. Lord Jesus, Father God - thank You for whatever is next. For Your purpose for my life. Thank You for all that You have taught me and will teach me. May my eyes always be fixed on You and only You.

I'm probably missing a season or two in there but... that will do for this week, I think. God is so good and I am always amazed at His blessings. Thank you, too, Iris, for making me think through all that He has done and given me. What a great time I'll have strolling down memory lane, holding His hand as I walk.

Have a gloriously blessed Thursday!



6 comments:

Denise said...

This was really beautiful, bless you sweetie.

Debra Kaye said...

Awesome thankful post! Thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

All such wonderful blessings!

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Marsha said...

Yes, this is truly a sweet, sweet post. Thank you for sharing your thankful heart.

Have a blessed weekend.

Anonymous said...

God bless your thankful heart, bonnie.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...thanks for sharing from your generous heart.