9.08.2010

In the news...

A couple of days I ago I heard about the preacher in Florida who has proclaimed September 11, 2010 national burn a Quaran day.

What????

That was my first reaction. I'm not Muslim and I believe Islam is a lie but honestly? Burn a Quaran?

What the hey for?

And then? Tell me... when. When in all of Christ's ministry did He resort to something so incredibly disrespectful to those who did not believe Him?

Yes - He overturned the tables in the Temple but keep something in mind there - that was in the Temple. God' House. HIS Father's house. NOT the house of another religion's God.

When, when, WHEN did Jesus every try to ram the truth down someone's throat? Think of the rich young man He met on the road. The one who asked what he needed to do to get into heaven and left very sad when Jesus told him to sell all of his belongings and give the money to the poor.

Did Jesus chase after him?

No.

Did Jesus burn his house to the ground?

No.

Jesus gave the young man the truth, the tools and information he needed to make a decision. That young man made his decision and Jesus... let him go. No chasing, no screaming, no pounding him for not accepting the truth.

I get the frustration, I truly do. I am so incredibly saddened and overwhelmed by the tragedy of what it means to continue following Islam. I ache for those Muslim's who die Muslim and have to stand before God. I hate to hear of another young man killed in Afghanistan. It is painful to read of people kidnapped, killed and tortured in the name of Islam. It makes me angry that people treat each other this way, are so mind-boggling cruel to one another and use whatever excuse makes them feel they're justified in perpetuating their evil.

But...would I ever be so disrespectful as to burn something - on purpose - so incredibly important to them?

Not in a million years.

I'll pray for and take every opportunity I am given to share Jesus with everyone I meet. I will speak the truth and I won't speak it anger. I will do my best to be a shining representative of God's glory. I fail - a lot. I have to remember that I generally can't really do that job all that well.

BUT...He can do it through me. I don't need to and it's not about me, anyway.

I understand the pastor is giving "serious consideration" to General Petreaus' words. I pray God reaches this pastor before this grievious event can occur.


I pray this pastor remembers...

Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah (More popularly known as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego) and their words to Nebuchadnezzar before being tossed into the fiery furnace:

"O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." ~ Daniel 3:16-18

...even if He does not...

They didn't need to do or say anything to defend God because God is God, regardless of who thinks or does what. They were simply going to ignore the golden statue that King N required them to worship. No disrect to the King, just a simple living out of what they knew to be the truth.

That furnace said a great deal to that King.

Pounding someone over the head, telling them that what they believe is of the devil, they're going to hell and to burn something so important to them isn't going to have them listen to your message.

Jesus had to have felt a little frustration a few times in His ministry. Perhaps He still does. That did not excuse Him to sin on top of sin. This event, if it takes place, will be an event formed of pride and pride is a sin.

How I pray this pastor humbles himself. Let the world see Jesus through him instead of allowing satan to win that battle.

What will you be doing on September 11th? I think I might set aside a good number of hours to pray. It seems we're not doing that enough.

No comments: