1.01.2009

Thankful Thursday ~ Looking Back

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly, defend the rights of the poor and needy.
~Proverbs 31:8-9

That verse has been my beacon for 2008. What else will I take from 2008? To me, it was a year of branching out in service. The Western Washington Coalition to Combat Human Trafficking has been formed and we are eagerly starting the work God has called us to do. In addition to that, I started doing devotions at our area women's homeless shelter in June and that has been such an amazing blessing to me.

I am so incredibly thankful to God that He has offered me these and other opportunities to serve Him and to serve those I walk with through this wonderful thing we call life.

I am thankful that God is faithful in that He never asks you to do something alone. He has been with me every single step He has asked me to take and has directed my path - helping me to avoid those things He does not want me to do and putting me back in front of those things He did
want me to do.

I am just so thankful to God that He reminds us over and over and over again that He may have created us to look different but inside? He created us to worship and glorify Him so in that regard we are all the same. We all struggle with the basics - loneliness, worth, the path we are to take - and He remains faithful to remind us to keep our eyes on Him and the rest falls into place.

I am grateful that God gives us each new day. In that day, we can share His love with others and maybe - just maybe - be blessed to witness the day a heart actually changes with His love. What a joy it is to welcome a new brother and sister into the family of God!

It has been a privilege serving those who, according to our society's standards, have so little to nothing. I have been reminded over and over and over again, though, of the resilience of the human spirit when it looks to God for its strength and hope. What joy there is in that place!

For 2009, I pray God continues to stretch me and grow me. I have no idea what He has in store for me but how I pray my answer is "Yes." Yes, yes and YES!!

Read other Thankful Thursday posts with Iris at Grace Alone... Have a blessed 2009!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful post!

Happy New Year and Happy TT!

Aisling said...

Beautiful thankful list and great way to start the year. Thank you.

michelle said...

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!

Denise said...

Praying that your 2009 will be filled with blessings sweetie.

Nancie said...

Blessed New Year! Thank God for His guidance and blessings upon you. Thanks for sharing your thankful heart with us. May God continue to bless and guide you in this new year, and provide for your every need! Take care.