6.19.2010

Italian Meat Loaf

Found one. A meat loaf recipe that is a beyond amazing. Keeper. Big time. Even the 10 year old - one bite and his eyes lit up and he gave it a big thumbs up. Happy even to have leftovers last night.


Wednesday night's dinner was a real surprise. I wasn't really expecting too much but one bite and I knew I'd found a meat loaf recipe I could share. See, my meat loaf (which tastes remarkably similar to this one) is a "I'll put in some of this. Add a bit of that. Mix in a whole lot of the other..." and off I go. There is no rhyme or reason to my recipe. It's hard to share that way. This, though, solves that problem instantly.

And you cook it in the crock pot! A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!! (Ok... ok... there is a drawback... it leaves a lot of grease in the bottom of your pan. That grease isn't cooking "out" anywhere but right back into your meat. If you don't want all that ugh in the bottom of your crockpot, this one may not be for you. To me? The taste FAR outweighed that negative. I will be making this one again.)

Italian Meat Loaf (makes 8 servings)

2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1 large egg
2 tblspn. dried chopped onion
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. dried Italian herbs, crushed
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tblspn. spaghetti sauce

1. Fold 30 inch long piece of foil in half lengthwise. Place in bottom of slow cooker with both ends hanging over the top edge of cooker.

2. In large bowl mix beef, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, egg, onion, salt, garlic salt, Italian herbs, garlic powder and pepper until well blended. Shape into a loaf. Place in slow cooker on top of foil. Spread 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce over top.

3. Cover tightly and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours or until beginning to brown and juices run clear.

4. Use ends of foil to lift out meat loaf and transfer to a serving platter.

Serve with spaghetti, any remaining spaghetti sauce and a spinach salad. Or chill, then slice and use for sandwiches.

I took their advice and had spaghetti on the side with some garlic bread. My family smiled for hours...

YUM!!!

No comments: