10.15.2009

Thankful Thursdays - Entitlement or Riches?

Oh man... the ladies over a Spiritually Unequal Marriage really make me think. Wait - let me re-word that... God is making me think and He's using the ladies over at Spiritually Unequal Marriage to do it. Hop over there and read Lynn's Thankful Thursday post. When that's done, scroll on down and read more. You'll see what I mean.

This week's Thankful Thursday topic is entitlement or riches and nothing like an arrow straight to the heart. I started wandering down that entitlement road this week. I KNEW that's how I was thinking and my brain was doing the split talk. You know what I mean: "I KNOW, God. I KNOW I'm not supposed to be thinking this and I'm sorry for thinking it but man oh man..." and I kept thinking it anyway. Before too long, as I let myself keep walking on that road, a pity pot bigger than life blocking my path showed up. I chose not to figure out how to get around it and then all sorts of stuff just started going downhill from there.

But.... Oh how grateful I am I serve a God of truth, a God who does not leave me blocked in with no way out and provides the way around. Blessings start revealing themselves from all over the place and He starts putting my mind back in order again, simply by focusing me on the truth of who He is and how He provides. All I have to do is listen and it's as if the path lights up in front of me - just like the Psalmist states. (Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.)

His blessings for me come at me, one mind picture after another. Then the phone calls begin and another blessing is brought to light - God knows when I need to hear from a friend and He brings her (this week it was actually "them") at the exact perfect moment.

What am I entitled to? Not a thing. I'm such a wretch on my own that I'm not even sure I'm entitled to hell. However - through Christ? I am offered so much. I need to keep myself in humble prayer before He who provides it or I allow pride to creep in and then I take Him for granted. He owes me nothing but has given me eternal life through the offering of a gift of such incredible value, I can NEVER understand its cost.

What am I thankful for this week? So much... but I am, most of all, incredibly thankful that God is never content to leave me where I am. If I plop myself in one place because I'm too tired or just don't feel like moving on, He provides the strength and the way forward. He is amazing, He is brilliant, He is dazzling and overwhelming and I am so grateful that He loves me and allows me to love Him back. And He never lets me forget who He is.


What are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I like how you said God starts putting your mind back in order. That's exactly what he does when we read his word. It seems like he does that for me constantly. It's so easy to get our thinking off track, but He's always right there to put us back on. Thanks for sharing. God bless you.

Nancie said...

Thank God for providing for you and strengthening you in your time of need. May His love and presence continues to bring joy and peace to you. Thanks for sharing your thankful heart with us, Bonnie. Take care and God bless you always!

Blessings,
Nancie

i said...

Me too, me too! So thankful that God is constantly reminding me to keep my eyes on Him and all is well. Many blessings to you!

Denise said...

You have such a sweet spirit, be blessed.

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

You can write so vividly and so much truth in what you said
The thought that sticked to my head is
" Oh how grateful I am I serve a God of truth, a God who does not leave me blocked in with no way out and provides the way around."

Praise God..have a great and blessed weekend
Bernice