8.30.2010

Day One

Today is Monday, August 30, 2010.

It is the first day of my "vacation." I use that term loosely.


I'm off work - as long as my mother can work (yes, we work together...15 years so far) - this week and my goal is:

1. To have another party prepped and ready to go. We're celebrating a friend who has recently finalized the adoption of her daughter. At 41 years old she has adopted a 9 year old little girl out of our foster care system. It's a long story, fraught with tears and years of indecision - not uncommon, I'm sure. She has never been married and there doesn't appear to be a husband on the horizon...God has not brought one to her. She has, however, a heart for children as big as the ocean and has so desperately wanted to be a mother. So...she has adopted. As a woman who was a single mom for many years, I think she is incredibly brave. I don't think, given the option, it is a choice I would make for myself. We will celebrate this new, little family and pray over them both. And eat ice cream.

2. To have the house organized and cleaned before school starts and all that comes with THAT merry-go-round. That one is easy as I've had most of the summer to go through things here and there so there isn't too much to do.

3. To have Christopher ready. Set. Geared up. For that first day of 5th grade. F.i.f.t.h. grade. How did that happen? But...clothes, backpack, lunch supplies (he packs his own...he's such a good boy!) and room will be purchased, washed, organized, put away and ready to go.

4. To figure out a better way to have my office organized. I have plenty of storage options, plenty of space and plenty of ideas but I have yet to settle on the layout that works the best. My husband is looking forward to moving furniture.

5. To rest. As much as I possibly can. I don't do that enough and it's going to be hard for me because as soon as I sit down I think of three different things to do. I'm going to try to let some of that go. Maybe I'll go practice now...take a nap... That sounds like the perfect way to end this post!

No comments: