1.15.2010

Haiti

We have all heard of the devastation in Haiti. The horrific stories don't stop coming, either. I can't imagine being the mother of 5 living children one moment and the mother of 5 dead children the next. That, though, is the horror at least one woman is dealing with in the aftermath of this earthquake. She has lost her home, her husband her children... I can close my eyes and try but I can't picture it. I can't imagine the depth of her pain. When I heard her story on the radio they said she sits on a mattress - outside (there are so few buildings left standing) - and is quiet except that every once in a while the pain becomes too much and she starts screaming and crying. I can relate to pain that drives you to the brink of madness. I've been there but not like that, not with anywhere near the same loss.

In the poorest country in this hemisphere, a lot has been lost. What touches me, too, is how many people describe the people of Haiti as calm and quiet - still polite despite their pain. In this country it probably would have taken all of 5 seconds for someone to call someone else a name and for the looting to start, fires to be set and the guns to start shooting.

People are stepping up to help in whatever way they can. You can text "Haiti" to 90999 and $10 will be charged to your cell phone bill and that $10 is donated to the American Red Cross. The last I heard over $10 million and climbing has been raised that way.

You can also text "Yele" to 501501 and $5 will be donated to Yele Haiti. That is a relief group for Haiti set up by Wyclef Jean, a Haiti native.

My favorite organization for helping children, Compassion International, is also accepting donations. Compassion staff is still evaluating all that has happened to their programs, if any of their children have been lost or suffered loss in family and home. Information comes slowly right now. You, though, can help them, too. Just click here and you'll be directed to a donation page to help Compassion help Haiti.

World Concern is on the radio today, raising funds for the Haitian people. A $49 donation provides an earthquake survival kit to a family. It includes a plastic tarp/tent (shelter is gone), water purification pills, clean water, blankets and food.

Wherever you choose to give your money, I implore you to give as much as you possibly can. To say this has left Haitians with nothing is an understatement. People who are living on less than $2 a day have very little to lose. Savings is a concept so foreign because all they know is survival.

So much lost, so many lives ended. Please help them keep hope. If money is not something you can do, please pray. Implore God to provide strength to those who are helping with the rescue of those trapped, strength to those trapped in fallen buildings to not lose their fight to live, medical personnel - that they are able to do the work they were taught to do and have the supplies to do it... The list is extensive. Above all, pray for those who are dealing with such great loss. 5 children lost in a matter of seconds. I can't imagine what that mother is going through. I want to wrap her up in my arms and just hold her and cry with her. I have asked God to do it because I can't.


No comments: