Then, two weeks ago Max got sick. Very sick. Having blood drawn and x-rays done for a dog who is "elderly" for his breed is nerve-wracking enough but to have them come back inconclusive - or not come back before a weekend - makes for a downright nightmare.
We ended up doing an ultrasound for Max last Saturday, the 16th and it showed his spleen had flipped over and there was no blood flowing into it. It would have to be removed or it would cause him great pain and to suffer an horrific death. Add to that, bile in his blood and urine strongly indicated something was seriously wrong with his liver. With those two combined, we decided to put Max to sleep.
It was the hardest thing I've ever done, the toughest decision I've ever made. Thank God for Aaron because if I had to do that one alone, I'm not sure I'd have been able to walk out of the veterinary hospital.
Monday C2 leaves on a missions trip to Mexico. One week to work at an orphanage with other middle schoolers from our church. I think the Middle School Pastor is a saint. All those 12-14 year old kids... Noooooooo thank you!! The chaperones going are much braver than I could ever be.
That about catches us up.