1.29.2011

Word for 2011

My word for 2011 actually came to me at the end of 2010.  It's not something I'm very good at so I've been ignoring it for a while.  I just realize that it's not going away and it is, apparently, what I am to work on this year.

My word is:  nurture

nur·ture
verb, -tured, -tur·ing, noun
-verb (used with object)
1. to feed and protect: to nurture one's offspring.
2. to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development; foster: to nurture promising musicians.
3. to bring up; train; educate.

-noun
4. rearing, upbringing, training, education, or the like.
5. development: the nurture of young artists.
6. something that nourishes; nourishment; food.

Honestly, nurturing isn't something that comes to me naturally.  I am a no-nonsense, black & white, draw the line kind of person. I'm also not very patient so I make a horrific teacher.  Horrific.  If you don't catch on the first time, it's your problem not mine.  I gave you the instructions - figure it out. 

At least that's how I've always been.  It is slowing down a bit the older I get.  I find I'm not as impatient as I used to be but I still have a ways to go.

It's the end of January now...I can tell you that the working on "nurturing" has started.  We hired someone at work to replace my mother.  It's been difficult for me - after 15 years of working side by side with the most important woman in my world, there is someone new there.  It's amazing how tough it is to accept.

The young woman we hired, though, is a sweet, smart and professional person who I think is going to be great.  As long as I train her well, bring her along well.  And that's where "nurture" comes in and let me tell you...it's been a struggle. 

I suppose, if it weren't a struggle, I wouldn't have anything to learn, eh?  Considering how big the struggle has been, I'm hopeful I'll learn great things from it.

Stay tuned...




 

1 comment:

Parsley said...

Love your word. Mine was/is 'release' and it has served me well.