1.04.2013

Technology - Joined at the Hip

I have to admit.  It has been a pretty nice couple of weeks.  Toss out the minor surgery on the 21st and it's been perfect.  (Surgery went well, recovery has involved pain - only downside)  I had to come back to work on Wednesday, though.  At first I was fairly excited.  It felt good - the idea of moving again, getting back into the swing of things.  My leg improves almost every day so the idea of not HAVING to rest so much felt REALLY good (I don't make a very good lump, actually).

Loving my job is easy.  I've been here a very long time and while I never know what I'm going to get when I get back after an extended time off, I certainly wasn't expecting what happened this week.  I walk in the door on Wednesday and there is no voice mail, our server is fried and we can't access the internet...

Oh joy.....

It has been a VERY long three days of phone calls, no emails, no computer...  Our IT guy tried to set up our receptionist's computer (she is off this week) as a virtual machine we could run things through until he could fix the bad block on the server's hard drive but he ran into problems there.  He has been able to keep her machine online, though, which is the only reason I can do this.  There have been a few things I could do that didn't involve my computer but it absolutely floored me to figure out just how much of my work life relies on this machine.

There is a pile of work on my desk brought as far as I could bring it without the computer and now I wait... 

The server is back in the building, though and our IT guy is slowing getting us hooked back up and running.

Here's to next week being normal.  I hope...

How has your New Year been going so far?


No comments: