2.11.2010

Countdown to V Day

It's Thursday. That means Sunday is only 3 days away. Considering I work full time, it means there is only one free day until it arrives. One. In that free day I have to grocery shop and prepare a couple of dishes for a brunch I'm hosting Sunday plus pack up everything I'm going to need to do it. Ok - it started out being a brunch but since we had to move the starting time from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM it's feeling more like a lunch.

Whatever.

It's food for 30 people. T.H.I.R.T.Y. Have I ever prepared food for that many people before?


Ummm... no. Nope. and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!


Thank God I have help!! My Lifegroup is stepping in to help me cook, serve and clean up. They are the best people on the planet.

It's not the brunch or preparing the food or making sure I have all the supplies we need. I feel like I'm moving into a friend's parents' house. They have so graciously opened their doors but what I have to bring... I think my van might need new shocks when this is over. That's just a matter of lists, lists and more lists.

No. It's the fear that the food won't be super-yummy and people will think "ho hummmm...I should have gone to Jack in the Box." It's wondering if my devotion will sound like another stupid Valentine's Day cliche - said with the best of intentions but coming across sounding like pity.

Yup. Brunch is for single folks. Single folks ranging in age from 35 to 49. Some of them never-been-married folks. Valentine's Day simply stinks for them. Personally, I think the day stinks for everyone which is what I usually remind the singles. The pressure, the hype. Ugh. I've never been a fan of Valentine's Day which is why I chose to do this rather than sit at home complaining about the massive card companies who have consummerized love and turned romance into a guilt trip.


I think love is something we do 365 days a year. Every year of our life. I think wives should always speak words of love and encouragement to their husbands and I think husbands should bring their wives flowers at least once a month. If I respect my husband and he loves me, our marriage is going to be better. If you are dating someone and behave the same way toward your significant other as you would your spouse, you'll someday make a great spouse.

We don't need red roses and pink heart-shaped doilies to say "I love you." Take out the trash, scratch her back, write a note and slip it in a coat pocket. That can be done on February 15th as well (and by that well I mean "good") as it can be done on February 14th. I will admit - it's a bit fun if you go the kids route with things. Sweet, funny little sentiments...

I digress.


Now...if we used February 14th to remind ourselves that love is the most important thing we do in our lives, that would be different. I probably wouldn't be so anti-Valentine's Day. Instead we've had to candy, rose and heart the living daylights out of it and so people usually forget that love is a tangible, not just a "feeling." It's NOT all about that rush you feel with someone special. It's the day in and day out, the choice to "for good or bad, no matter what I'm sticking with you."

Love is something we do even when she's not wearing a pretty dress or he's not bringing the biggest, most beautiful bouquet of roses. It's life.

So - pardon my rant. Sunday. Brunch for the singles in my church. I'm praying my ham bakes beautifully and the quinoa tabulleh tastes as yummy as it looks. I'll post pictures after it's over.

No comments: