6.09.2010

Easy Vegetable Lasagna

Last night we had leftovers. Used up the last of the Weight Watchers recipe "Easy Vegetable Lasagna" I had made, the last of the beef stroganoff (the recipe I won't share here - Aaron had to doctor it so much to make it taste good it's just not worth sharing) and the Chicken Pineapple.


Today we have a clean fridge. YAY! And no wasted food. YAY, again! It felt so good to actually use the leftovers and not throw away an entire meal's worth of food for a change. Without planning we'd have leftovers, put them in the fridge and then forget we had them. We'd find them a couple of weeks later and they would, of course, be science projects.


The Easy Vegetable Lasagna (Sorry - no pictures. I wasn't thinking blog and what we warmed up last night was definitely not attractive enough for display!) is really, really good. I loved it. My 10 year old wasn't too keen on it - he doesn't like mushrooms OR spinach. Poor kid.

I know, though, that if I were to make it again, I'd probably halve the mushrooms and toss in a few more veggies. Maybe zucchini. I love zuchinni. Also, we used an Italian Sausage sauce (so much for vegetables!) as a nod toward my husband's love of all things meat. I have to admit ~ when it comes to lasagna, I'm a Prego girl and was greatly regretting buying another brand. Too much water in the brand we used and Prego is always so nice and thick. If I was using another brand next time, I'd probably add a can of tomato paste to help it thicken a bit.

I'm not sure there was anything else I can add here so...without further ado.. the recipe:


28 oz. spaghetti sauce (I did actually use 2 jars of 26 oz. sauce - 28 oz. would not have been anywhere near enough with all that spinach!)
6 uncooked lasagna noodles (I ended up using 9)
15 oz. fat free ricotta cheese
6 oz. fresh baby spinach
8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
8 oz. low-fat mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 375. Spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Arrange 3 noodles in a single layer over sauce. Top with all of the ricotta cheese and vegetables, another 1/3 of sauce and 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.

Add remaining noodles in a single layer. Spread evenly with remaining sauce. Cover dish with foil, bake until noodles are tender and mixture is piping hot (about 1 hr.). Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese, bake uncovered 5 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Again - I tweaked it a bit to serve us and you can do the same. As is going to become quite common for me, I think - if you do make it and make any changes you love, please let me know! I'm all for making everything yummier, even when it starts out pretty yummy on its own.

No comments: